Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Don't Ban the Vuvuzelas

I read today that FIFA and the World Cup organizing committee are considering banning the vuvuzelas at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. My hope is that they don't. Now, I agree that the African horns are loud and make it sound like South Africa is being invaded by giant killer bees. In fact my ears have been buzzing since the first game last week. Even when I'm sleeping. 

Granted some players have complained they couldn't hear the referee's whistle, but I hope the FIFA committee listens to reason and allows the fans to continue to blow the horns with all their hearts. FIFA had discussed banning the plastic horns weeks before the World Cup began and decided not to. It would be unfair to the fans to ban them now. Fans should be allowed to express themselves in supporting their teams, even if it means hearing nothing but buzzing for the rest of the tournament.

If it's not the vuvuzelas it's the squirrelly Adidas ball "causing" the lack of quality play in the group stage. Or maybe the South African sun is too bright.  

What's next - the grass was cut too perfect?

No comments: